Thursday, April 11, 2013

The True Relationship Between International Professors and Students


The True Relationship Between International Professors and Students
Caitlin Vaughn spends extra time studying for her calculus
class because she cannot understand her teacher's
lectures due to her accent. 

With a strong presence of international professors at Ole Miss, students are now presented with the opportunity to interact with others from across the world. But having an international teacher may come with both positive and negative effects as well as barriers that both students and teachers have to overcome.
Originally from South Africa, Dalmari Van Der Linde, a microeconomics professor at Ole Miss, still struggles with teaching in the United States.
“Students have a harder time comprehending the material because of my accent,” Van Der Linde said. “I constantly have to verify with the students to make sure they understand the topic I am teaching. I use more examples than I normally would if I was explaining it in my native language.”
            Some students have said they are disappointed when they find out their teachers are from a different country. Students complain that having an international teacher causes their courses to become more challenging.  Caitlin Vaughn, a sophomore marketing and communications major, does not look forward to going to her class that is taught by a professor whose native language is Chinese.
            “Student’s ask questions in class and do not get a proper response because of the language barrier,” Vaughn said. “It is not fair for students grades to suffer solely on the lack of being able to communicate clearly.”
            Although some students believe having an international teacher may hinder their education, others, like Lily Vinn, a sophomore corporate relations major, are grateful for the opportunity to be taught by an international professor.
            “I have been able to get a taste of other cultures, which I have thoroughly enjoyed,” Vinn said. “Taking their classes has forced me to adapt to their different teaching styles, which I think is an important quality to have.”
            Outsiders may think students will be more likely to take advantage of international teachers, but according to Van Der Linde, that is not the case. She explains how multiple students are interested in knowing about her “home country.” Van Der Linde claims she has never once felt that she was being treated differently because she was from a different country. Other international professors, however, may disagree.
            Originally from Ghana, Africa, George Akpandjar, an international professor who teaches business statistics, believes he is treated differently.
            “Many students I’ve taught have a mindset that they are superior to me because I am not originally from this country,” said Akpandjar. “I believe I do not get the same amount of respect that I would if my native language was English.
            Akpandjar, however, said he does think it can be a positive experience for the students to have an international teacher. By coming from a different background, Akpandjar, is able to show his students a different type of culture they normally would not had the opportunity to experience.
Both Akpandjar and Van Der Linde agree that many of their students have come to appreciate and understand people from other parts of the world because they have had a teacher from a different country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment