Friday, April 19, 2013

Murphy Holloway decides whether or not to go from the court to the field


Murphy Holloway in the training facility at Ole Miss.



OXFORD, Miss-

After a season record of 27-9 and obtaining the winning title of the SEC Championship this year, senior Ole Miss basketball star, Murphy Holloway, begins to transition himself from the court to the field.

Murphy Holloway has encountered many ups-and downs these past four years. After his first two years with the Ole Miss men’s basketball team, he made the decision to transfer to South Carolina as a walk-on in order to be closer to his daughter there. After being red-shirted the entire season, Holloway petitioned the NCAA to waive the year-in residence requirements for transfers; they alter allowed him to return to Oxford.

“I’m glad to be back because I never wanted to leave,” says Holloway. 

Holloway lead his team to victory with 23 points and 10 rebounds during the SEC championship in Nashville against the Florida Gators. Holloway says that winning the SEC championship his senior year was his goal from day one here on campus at Ole Miss. 

“Winning during my senior season was great and was a perfect way to conclude my Ole Miss basketball career,” Holloway says. “I look forward to watching my younger teammates build on our success this year.”

But now, the 6’7 power-forward from Irmo, South Carolina, is faced with a bigger decision than which college to play for: the NBA or NFL.

“I'm open to either, at this point I'm not limiting myself to one or the other,” Holloway says. “I know I can be successful at either sport; I am confident that I would be a threat on the football field as well as the basketball court.”

OMSpirit (scouting for Ole Miss) confirmed earlier this week that Holloway was practicing at the IPF in front of NFL scouts. They also posted an article saying they don’t know if Holloway has even played football before. The man himself gave me the inside scoop on his past football experience:

“I haven't played football since early in my high school career, I played several different positions due to my size and speed,” Holloway says. “I enjoyed running pass routes the most.”

Todd Wade, former NFL player who is running for mayor of Oxford, says, “I have talked with Murphy, I’m excited for him. He’s got the frame and athleticism to go either way.” 

Wade, who also played football for Ole Miss, says that transitioning from basketball to football, especially in the NFL, isn’t an easy thing to do.

“Being an athlete in college requires a lot of determination. But also, you have a lot more time to get things done and to have a life. That’s not how it is in the NFL. It is a 9-7 day, all day everyday, 300 days out of the year,” Wade says. 

Jeffery Vanderburg, a sophomore at Ole Miss, says that Holloway has the potential to do whatever he puts his mind to.

“He’s the kind of guy that will work hard at anything, whether it be football or basketball. His intensity on the court will definitely be the same on the field,” Vanderburg says. 

The one person that Holloway knows will support him in whatever career path he chooses is his mother, Sonja. 

“She has supported me all my life and often times made the impossible possible,” he says with a smile. “I know that through all of this, she is my biggest cheerleader and will hopefully have the opportunity to cheer me on- either from the football or basketball stands very soon.”

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/holloway_murphy00.html

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jan/28/home-again-home-again/

http://www.statesman.com/feed/sports/college/murphy-holloway-is-actually-trying-out-for-the-nfl/fGL6Z/



1 comment:

  1. Murphy has a strong pedigree in football as well as basketball. His father, Richard Maddox II, was the Captain of the #1 ranked NCAA University of Arizona famed “Desert Swarm” Defense as an outside linebacker and defensive end in 1992. He was a highly regarded pro prospect before injury. He was an All- American Football Player. His father was the HS MVP in Football, Track, Basketball and he competed successfully as a team and individual tennis player. That is where Murphy gets his broad shoulders and Muscularity from. His Grandfather, Richard O. Maddox Sr. attended South Carolina State College on a basketball Scholarship and played both football and basketball. He was the Team Captain and also an All-American. Check out this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSh9rL0HdY

    ReplyDelete