Thursday, April 11, 2013

Committed couples in twenties struggle to find comfort in Oxford


Oxford, Mississippi is home of the University of Mississippi and is known for its popular nightlife, as well as, its new claim of a “retirement” town. However, although Oxford caters to the younger single generation who attend the university and the older generation who are retired and are simply enjoying life, but what about the committed couples in there twenties? According to the census bureaus, 31.2% of Oxford residents are between the ages of 20-24, but does Oxford cater to that specific age group?
“I do really like Oxford,” InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Leader, Lois Paney.
Paney, 24, and her husband, Andrew, 24, relocated to Oxford from Michigan in July of 2010 after Andrew received a teaching job at the university. Lois, who is originally from St. Ignace, Michigan, can relate and appreciate the small town atmosphere of Oxford. 
“My husband on the other hand, doesn’t appreciate it” Lois said.
 Andrew, who was raised in the metropolitan area of Atlanta, Georgia, said the small town lifestyle of Oxford is odd and foreign to him.
“I think it’s so weird to go to a grocery store and see so many people you know,” Andrew said.
Although, Lois may find enjoyment in the small town lifestyle, she and Andy both enjoy when students leave Oxford.
“I like having students around. It’s also nice though when it’s not busy like the weekends when students are not around,” Lois said.
The stereotype of Oxford, however, raises a red flag to retired veteran, Michael Matthews, 26, and his wife, Paige, 25.
“Oxford is nothing like what I expected,” Paige said. “I hate it.”
 Michael, Paige, and their two kids, Michael Jr., 2, and Lauren, 1, relocated to Oxford shortly after Michael retired from the Army.
“It’s the environment we hate most about Oxford,” Michael said.
The lack of activities for children in the area post many difficulties and challenges when trying to entertain their children.
“We have two young children and it’s ridiculous that I have to drive to Memphis to find something for my children to do,” Paige said. “When we initially moved to Oxford, we heard nothing but good things but it is nothing like we expected it to be.”
Students also pose problems for the young couple and their family.
“Yes, we’re only 25 and 26 but we are way more mature than the average person in there twenties here. We find no enjoyment in going to the Square on a Friday night or a Saturday night,” Paige said.
According to Matthew, the lack of enjoyment from the Square started before their children were born.
“We haven’t gone out in a long time simply because we feel Oxford is not that party atmosphere that it’s known for,” Matthew said. “The Square closes at 12:30 a.m. How much fun can you possibly really have?”
According to NBC News, college towns, like Oxford, have become home to more than just students. Retirees have found new homes in college communities. 
Chris Jansing of NBC News said those who have retired move to college towns for “a chance to stay active, volunteer and keep learning.”
Students, Sertoria Ellington, 21, and her fiancĂ©, Alex Smith, 22, don’t understand the relationship between Oxford and it’s new retirement stereotype.
“I didn’t think people actually retired here,” Sertoria said. “There are nothing but students here, how could they possibly enjoy a place like this?”
More importantly, Sertoria said that the different personalities of students make it hard for Oxford to be related to a retirement town.
“I remember my freshman year and constantly running into girls who were drunk and it would be on a Tuesday!” Sertoria said.
 Sertoria and Alex agreed they would never retire here and shortly after graduation, plan on moving away from Oxford.
“I’ve loved being in Oxford but the day after graduation, I am moving so far away from Oxford,” Sertoria said.
Unlike most students, Alex said that he has not enjoyed his time here in Oxford and does not see the excitement in Oxford.
 “Once football season is over, Oxford can be one of the most boring places on Earth,” Alex said.
Alex and Sertoria are originally from Tunica, Mississippi and said they both look forward to going home throughout the spring semester because of the lack of entertainment that remains in Oxford.
Nevertheless, all three couples said that although they are in committed relationships and in there twenties, they feel they are outcast in this “party and retirement” town.
“It’s so hard for me and my husband to find something to do on a Friday or a Saturday.  The movies get boring and the same restaurants start tasting the same. I don’t want to party with a bunch of drunk single students,” Lois said.
Sertoria Ellgington agreed that there are few activities for committed couples in there twenties to do. However, she said that there are, also, not many committed couples that are in there twenties.
“I often feel that I am looked at differently because I will choose to stay home over going out with my friends mostly because I am in a different stage in my life than the average 21-year-old here at the university,” said Sertoria.
“I wish people were more open and less traditional here,” Lois said.
Oxford located in the “Bible Belt”, is known for its rich traditions through the school, as well as, in culture. This poses challenges for young couples that are getting married at young ages.

“I know I’m looked down on because I wear a wedding ring on my finger. I’m sure people feel that I am too young to be married and that makes it hard for me to make friends and get to know new people,” Lois said.

No comments:

Post a Comment