Friday, April 19, 2013

Alysia Steele: The Photographer that Cares



Alysia Steele shares a laugh with laugh with two of her students as she teaches a seminar of DSLR cameras.

University, Miss. – She was part of a Pulitzer Prize winning team at the age of 36.  She was a picture editor at the “Dallas Morning News” and the deputy director of photography at the “Atlanta Journal Constitution” before the age of 40.  She was chosen to be picture editor and the layout designer of his “Arnold Schwarzenegger Sports Festival” coffee table book.  But while she is proud of the work she’s done, Alysia Steele does not revel in her awards or accomplishments.  She simply finds new work and continues.

“My husband and mom had to convince me to take my awards out of boxes [for display],” she said.  “I’ve won a lot of awards. They just don't mean that much to me” 

Women in general are not common in Photojournalism, but African-American women are far less regular.  However, Steele did not let that fact discourage her. She began working and setting goals.  “Once I started working in Columbus, I gave myself 10 years to become a Director of Photography.  I was the Deputy Director at the [Atlanta Journal Constitution] in nine.” 

Steele does admit that she would hear “affirmative action” comments while working, but she pointed out that she doesn’t believe that gave her any real advantage or disadvantage for that matter. 

“Every job I have had, I did not apply for.  I was contacted first,” Steele said.  “Sure, you hear the comments, but in the end it’s your work that speaks for itself.”

After nine years working for daily newspapers, Steele realized that her field was changing, and if she were going to continue to succeed, she would need to change with it.  So, she left her job making over six figures of income, and enrolled at Ohio University to earn a master’s degree in journalism focusing on multi-media.  At first, it appeared Steele’s plan had backfired.  “I could not find a job [after getting her master’s].  It was so bad that I wound up answering phones for $8 an hour at an insurance company.  It was quite humbling.”  But, eventually Steele returned to work at "The Columbus Dispatch" before making her way south.

Steele’s path to Oxford was not exactly premeditated, at least not by her.  Will Norton, Dean of the Meek School of Journalism, made the decision to emphasize and improve the photography aspect at the school.  And he decided adding Alysia Steele was a vital part of the improvements.  So, he brought her to Oxford last April while spring was blooming and made his pitch.

“I had never even been to Mississippi until [Ole Miss] brought me here.  But, Dr. Norton sold me, and I have fallen in love with the place,” she said.

Steele came to the University of Mississippi in the fall of 2012 receiving the title Journalism Professional in Residence.  Her purpose is to create “the best photography program in the country” for the Meek School of Journalism while also furthering her own photography career.  When asked how she felt her progress was coming, she responded “I’m not satisfied because I want it done now.” 

Steele’s demand for perfection is not a coincidence but rather a product.  She was raised by her grandparents in a “strict but encouraging” home. That home came with responsibilities though.  Steele said, “I could not do what I wanted to do until I had done my chores and done them to my grandparents’ satisfaction.”  She learned from an early age she learned the rewards of a job well done, and she carried that attitude into her professional career. 

Though she has only been on campus for a little under a full academic year, Steele has already made an impression on students.  One of her photojournalism students, Jared Senseman said, “She has helped me find my passion of photojournalism.”  In addition to helping students in the classroom Senseman believes that much of her success as a teacher should be attributed to the fact that “she genuinely cares about her students.”

“I honestly lay awake at 4 a.m. thinking [about my students],” Steele says when asked about her thoughts on teaching.  “When students don’t turn in their best work, it deeply bothers me.”

“She won’t accept anything less than my best,” Senseman said. 

Her natural impulse to care is what makes her successful at her job.  Yes, talent is a factor, but there are many who are talented with a camera.  But, the fact that she cares so deeply about students and those around her, is what sets her apart.  When asked what her greatest achievement in her life has been, she took a deep breath and stared at her desk thinking before she responded, “Easing my aunt’s pain as she died from Lou Gehrig’s Disease.”  This answer is from someone who has a Pulitzer Prize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment