Friday, April 19, 2013

Jeremy Holiday: Achieving Greatness, One Barrier At a Time


Jeremy Holiday: Achieving Greatness, One Barrier At a Time 
Jeremy Holliday, a well -known leader throughout the Ole Miss community, is an established student who has a bright future ahead of him. Jeremy has faced struggles throughout his life but has used those obstacles as motivation to keep on persevering.   
            Jeremy is an African American who was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. From his early childhood Jeremy formed a strong work ethic by witnessing his family members become successful professionals through hard work and endless effort.
            Jeremy, a junior Exercise Science major, is involved in numerous activities that keep him occupied, and at times a bit stressed. Jeremy is the co-director of First Year Experience. First Year Experience is an organization that was created to help incoming freshman adjust to college life. As co-director, Jeremy is in charge of welcome week, freshman picnic, and assists in strategically choosing mentors for freshman council and the teachers for EDHE classes. Jeremy is also the treasurer of Ole Miss Republicans, a member of the General Alumni Council, a Delta Gamma House Boy, and an Ole Miss ambassador.
            As warned by his parents, Jeremy has been faced with extra challenges to get to where he is today because of his race. Multiples times he has felt pre-judged and categorized based on his skin color. Even at times Jeremy has been personally told he will not get his desired position because his is African American.
            “Some people assume I am not capable of performing leadership activities or accomplishing tasks because I am an African American who was born and raised in Mississippi,” said Jeremy.
            Jeremy has been able to turn those negative thoughts into a positive motivator.
            “I know who I am. I do not let those thoughts and prejudgments stop me from accomplishing what I want to achieve,” said Jeremy. “If anything those feelings make me more motivated to prove those people wrong.”
            Jenny Tran, a fellow ASB member, believes Jeremy’s qualities have helped him achieve his goals.
            “Jeremy’s strongest characteristics are ambition and drive,” said Jenny Tran. “These attributes have assisted him in allowing him to hold obtain leadership positions.”
            Nothing will stop Jeremy from achieving his aspirations, even if it occasionally requires treading on heavy waters.
            “I know I have offended some people and possibly stepped on some toes,” said Jeremy. “Some people may mistake me for being mean or overly blunt but I believe I am just being honest by giving my honest opinion. Things have to be accomplished and the only way that will happen is if the truth is told.”
            Although Jeremy is heavily involved on campus he believes it is still possible to be social. Ryan Henry, the ASB Philanthropy Chair, thinks of Jeremy as one of the most well known people on campus.
            “He is friends with everyone,” said Ryan Henry. “I can’t walk anywhere with him without him being stopped by a teacher or a peer. His outgoing personality and ability to relate to you has been a tremendous asset in helping him achieve his goals.”
            Through leadership experiences and being faced with adversity Jeremy has developed into the person who he is today.
            “By experiencing these trials I have learned to stay true to who I really am,” said Jeremy. “I have goals in life that I want to accomplish and I will not let dated beliefs control my life and dictate my future path.”    
 
Jeremy Holliday will not let anything stand in his away of achieving his goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment