Friday, April 19, 2013

Humble Spirit Here At U of M

Douglas Odom has a maturity level that sets him apart from others of his age.  He loves facing battles and overcoming obstacles because he finds them rewarding to overcome.  He busies himself on campus by being a part of UM Judicial Council, Columns Society, UM Big Event, and Ole Miss Ambassadors.
“My inspiration is very simple: I was raised to be the best I could be,” said Odom. “I have enormous expectations of myself, and I strive to live up to those expectations in everything I do.”
Odom credits his father for teaching him everything that he knows.
“He is the absolute ideal role model, always thinking of others before himself,” said Odom. 
According to Odom, he is diligent, compassionate and preserving. He has a methodical brain that pieces together ways to solve problems, and always gets his work done on time, even if he procrastinates. Being a compassionate person, he says that, “I am a very private person myself, but I am a good listener and I love helping others through their problems.”
According to Doug’s mentor, Ryan Upshaw, Doug is very humble.  He has accomplished so much; by maintaining above a 3.9 GPA and still being a part of a number of leadership roles he still finds to be a genuine person.
“He gives back so much, I have never heard one person (student, faculty, or staff) say anything negative about him,” said Upshaw.
Upshaw is the Coordinator of Recruitment and Admissions for the Honors College.  He has known Doug for four years and recruited him to the Honors College.
            “My earliest favorite memory was when he emailed me really late, like two or three days before the deadline to decide on to say that he was coming to this campus,” said Upshaw. “We had offered him of our Honors College Scholarships, so I waited on pins and needles to know if he was going to enroll here. 
Tirranny Nettles, a friend of Doug, says that she has known him for a little over a year.  They met during a term with the University’s Columns Society. 
“What made him stand out was his humble spirit and his warm, welcoming personality,” said Nettles.  “He always has a smile on his face and is willing to help you in any way he can.”
According to Nettles, Doug is her favorite person on campus.  She describes him in three words: Humble, intelligent and versatile.  She says that while working with him on various different projects, even when they are not fun, he would find the positive of the situation and share it to everyone. 
“He’s really an optimistic person,” said Nettles.  He made me realize that you have to make the best of life and dig deep for the good in every situation,” said Nettles. 
“I have a million and one reasons to smile on a rainy day—I’m far too blessed to ever get down on myself; I also love making other people smile on their rainy days,” said Doug.


No comments:

Post a Comment